Thursday, October 25, 2012

New Brew Thursday - Pilsner Urquell



I typically shun beer in green bottles.  Why?  Because, from my experience, they tend to be skunky tasting.

When hubby asked my to pick up a sixer of Pilsner Urquell, I was happy to do it.  

When I got to the beer store there was a Heineken promotion.  So the lovely blonde beer girl was passing out samples of icy cold Heiny and when she offered me a tastes I was like, "No thanks, I don't drink beer that comes in green bottles."

Little did I know that Pilsner Urquell comes in evil green bottles.  I couldn't tell at the store because the bottles were packed up in boxes.  I got a cold pack at the store and when I busted into them at home I was like, "Ugh, green bottles."

Since this was the designated beer for the evening I sucked it up and went for it.



I popped open a bottle;  the smell was exactly what I anticipated and it didn't bode well.  Skunk.



Let me put my commentary on hold for a moment and tell you a little bit about Pilsner Urquell.  It is the very first pilsner every made.  It was first brewed in 1842 in Plzen, Czechoslovakia; which is where it gets it's name.  All other beers of this style take their name from Plzeňský Prazdroj . . . or Pilsner Urquell.  However, Pilsner Urquell is hoppier than most pilsners . . . which gives it bonus points in my book. 

Now, back to the beer. Once I got past the smell, I was pleasantly surprised at the taste and I quickly sucked back three of them.  Don't get your knickers in a twist, Pilsner Urquell comes in at a very sessionable 4.4% ABV . . . so it's a nice light drinkable beer.  And it won't knock you on your butt.  It does have a little tiny bit of that green bottle taste but the overall flavor is a good tasty pilsner with a bitter edge.  I surprised myself by liking it.

Happy 170th Birthday Pilsner Urquell.  Cheers to the first Pilsner ever!   Good job with that!

Oh, and the topper on the cake?  I got a special badge from Untappd for knocking back three of these bad boy!

Visit the Pilsner Urquell website or check them out on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. If Heineken and Pilsner Urquell have a green bottle taste, then I could only wish that more beers were bottled in green glass, especially he Pilsner Urquell. I visited the Czech Republic and drank it at the source, in Plzen, and loved every drop of it.

    Keeping green bottled beer from direct sunlight should prevent any problems associated with green glass. As for a beer, in a green bottle, smelling like skunk, I can say that thankfully, I have never smelled a beer that had the scent of a skunk. You could not pay me enough to have me put a beer that smelled reminiscent of a skunk to my lips. You are more dedicated to tasting beer than me in that regard.

    All the best,
    Glenn B

    ReplyDelete