Thursday, October 18, 2012

New Brew Thursday - Pork'n out on beer


Hubby and I have a standing date night every week.  Most times we go to our favorite bar . . . Porky’s Café in Shelton, CT . . .  because they have the best hot wings around, awesome pizza, and the staff is cute & friendly.

For all the years I’ve been going there  . . .  at least 10 years . . . they’ve had pretty much the same beer on tap.  Mostly your run of the mill big commercial brewers:  Guinness, Bass Ale, Budweiser, Bud Light, Coors Light, Blue Moon, Miller, Sam Adams.   But recently I’ve noticed a new trend towards seasonal beers and a rotating guest tap.

I’m really happy about this development because the guest tap is most often a little guy craft brew . . . my kind of beer!

Some of recent beers were new to me and I absolutely LOVE trying new beer! 

A recent tap featured Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale.  Dogfish Head is a favority brewery of mine so there was no way I was going to let this one slip by untasted.  I liked it a lot.  There was the hoppiness of an IPA that I love so much along with subtle caramel notes that add delicious complexity.  The bitterness of the hops is balanced nicely with a light sweetness.   I would definitely recommend this beer!  Delish!  (7.2% ABV)



A couple weeks ago they had a Founders Rye PA . . . mmmm.  Hophead alert!! This one is for you!  Very hoppy and grapefruity . . . my fav!  The malts contribute a light sweetness that makes for an amazing beer. A lot of hops and a touch of caramel . . . oh my sweet heaven . . . YUM!  (6.6% ABV)

And just this past week Lagunitas A Little Sumpin Wild Ale.  A fairly strong beer (8.7% ABV) with big flavor.  There’s plenty of hoppiness . . . so, I’m not complaining . . . with an interesting array flavors: spice, fruit and candy.  No, I’m not insane.  I’m not sure of everything I was tasting in this complex flavorful beer but I know I detected some banana and, dare I say, bubblegum.  That’s right!  I said it!  Bubblegum.  Just the barest hint and it wasn’t at all bad.  As my favorite Vulcan would say . . . fascinating.  Really quite good . . . scrumptious, in fact.  Give it a whirl . . . you won’t be disappointed.   




No comments:

Post a Comment