Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Next to Myself I Like BVD Best


As far as underpants go . . . men's underpants . . . I personally prefer briefs or boxer briefs.  Boxers simply don't show enough . . . uhm . . . stuff.  Commando works too . . . I mean, that really and truly shows of the maximum amount of stuff.  


So as I contemplate my preference in under garments I am hearkened back to the television advertisements of my youth . . . 



The one I remember the most were the BVD commecials.  I began to wonder what BVD stands for?  Is it some random arrangement of letters?  Doubtful.  Does it stand for "back ventilated drawers"?  Plausible yes.


I know that theory sounds like something I randomly pulled out of my butt, but it's not really.  When you consider how long BVD's have been around.  The company was founded in 1876 in a time when under clothes known as long johns with drop seat in the backside were common.  


Another questionable hypotheses is that BVD stands for "body vest doodads" . . . well, you know what?  I'm not going there.


Actually, the acronym is simple enough.  It was named for the three gentlemen who owned the company that manufactured these garments.  They're names? Bradley, Vorhees & Day.  Mystery solved.


By the way . . . Fruit of the Loom purchased the BVD brand in 1976.





However, as an aside, it's interesting to note that long johns were also known as union suits.  Again, people not unlike myself have nothing better to do than ponder the origin of underwear, have theorized that union suits were so called  because supposedly General Grant accepted Robert E. Lee's surrender wearing nothing but his long underwear.  An amusing anecdote, but untrue.  The "union" in "union suit" most likely a natural association to the "unified" one-piece design of the garment.







Avocado and Feta Cheese on Toast




1 Small Baguette
1 Avocado
Juice of 1/2 a Lime
2 Teaspoons Chopped Mint
1/2 Cup Feta Cheese
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Coarse Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper



Slice baguette in half lengthwise, drizzle with olive oil and place in a 400 degree oven until lightly brown (5 to 10 minutes).


While the bread is in the oven, peel the avocado and scoop out the flesh with a spoon and put in a small bowl.


Mash the avocado with a fork and mix in the lime juice and mint. Crumble your cheese and fold it into the avocado mixture, leaving some bits chunky.


Spread the avocado mixture onto your toast and top with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.


Print Recipe



No comments:

Post a Comment