Friday, June 1, 2012

Firewater Friday - Drunken Ice cream jelly spiders

So, there I am . . . quietly minding my own business when all of a sudden my husband yells out, "Ice cream jelly spiders!"


"WHAT??!", was my startled reply.


What initiated his Tourette-like outburst?  He was reading an another blog and that's pretty much how the post he was reading started:



Since I had already been rudely wrenched from the story I was so engrossed in, I picked up my laptop and Googled "Ice Cream Jelly Spiders" . . . and yes, it does pretty much take you right there.  Give it a try if you don't believe me.




Hmmm . . . interesting.  Weird, but interesting.


But me being me . . . I had to kick it up a notch.  

First of all, I substituted Jell-O for the Aussie Aeroplane Jelly . . . same stuff, different name.  And, then to make it more grown-up friendly, I substituted Vanilla Rum for the water in the mixing instructions . . . basically, I made a great big Jell-O Shot.


The Basic Jello Shot Recipe 


1 (3-ounce) Box of Jell-O (I used strawberry)
1 Cup Boiling Water
1 Cup Booze (I used Vanilla Rum)


In a bowl, pour the boiling water over the Jello and stir until thoroughly dissolved. Cool to room temperature, then stir in the booze. Pour the mixture into shot glasses or Jello shot cups. Refrigerate until well-set, at least 6 hours. Makes 32 1-ounce jello shots or two big Jelly Spiders . . . divide the Jell-O into two big tumblers.






Then when those were gel'n I made up a batch of homemade lemonade.



Perfect Lemonade Recipe


1/2 Cup Raw Sugar 
1/2 Cup water 
1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
2 Cups Cold Water (to dilute)


Make simple syrup by heating the sugar and water in a small saucepan until the sugar is dissolved completely.


While the sugar is dissolving, use a juicer to extract the juice from 4 small lemons, enough for 1/2 cup of juice.


Add the juice and the sugar water to a pitcher. Add 2 cups of cold water. 


Okay . . . I admit I didn't make the ice cream, that's WAY too much like too much work.


After the giant Jell-O shots were all gelled up and firm.  I put two big scoops of ice cream . . . Häagen-Dazs, no less . . . and filled the glass with my sweet-n-tart lemonade . . . 


Voilà!  Drunken Ice cream jelly spiders.  


How were they?  Surprisingly good, actually.  Refreshing, sweet, creamy, tart, boozy.  Pretty much . . . yum!






Thanks, Tam, for the great idea . . . you're an inspiration to me and many others!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment