Wednesday, June 13, 2012

If I had my druthers

Hubby and I were off on a scenic motorcycle ride.  We have a totally spiffy helmet to helmet bluetooth intercom system that allows us to chat while we're riding.  While we were cruising along we had a conversation about barbecue ribs . . . styles of ribs, places that make the best ribs . . . that kind of thing.  We'd been riding a while and we were getting a little hungry.


Anyway, as the discussion progressed I said that if I had my druthers I prefer ribs dry rubbed and smoked and then slathered with a tangy barbecue sauce.


Whoah, wait!  Druthers?  What in the heck does that mean, where does that word come from . . . sounds like a blog post.  Yeah, that's how these things come about . . . really and truly, it is.


So, what's the deal with the word 'druthers'?  Here's the low down . . .


Druthers is a purely American word.  Specifically, from the south and is used to indicate a personal preference. It first came into usage around the mid-1800's and was originally 'drathers' . . . as in, I'd rather - a man can't always have his 'drathers.  It wasn't long before it morphed to 'druthers' -   a man can't always have his  druthers.


As luck would have it . . . my luck, that is . . . we stopped for lunch and I had my druthers.  Oh yes indeed I did!  I had me a half a rack of dry rubbed pork ribs with a spicy sweet barbecue sauce.  Mmm, mmm good!

Those ribs are from Moat Mountain Smokehouse and Brewery and you can bet your sweet bippy I had myself an amazing brew (or two) to go along with those sloppy ribs!






Slow Cooker Ground Beef Barbecue

3 Pounds Lean Ground Beef
1 Large Onion, Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
5 Stalks Celery, Finely Chopped
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Prepared Mustard
1/4 Cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
3 1/2 Cups Ketchup


Place ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook until brown, breaking up the meat as it cooks, about 15 minutes. Drain excess grease.

Place the cooked meat, onion, garlic, celery, salt, black pepper, cider vinegar, mustard, brown sugar, and ketchup into a slow cooker, and stir to combine.

Set the cooker on Low, and cook for 6 to 8 hours.

Serve on a Kaiser roll or over biscuits with cheese.

1 comment: