Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Strawberries are the angels of the earth


Hubby and I were out and about on the motorcycles when we passed a strawberry farm.  I suddenly had a flashback to my first job ever. 

Back when I was a kid . . . probably 11 or 12 . . . I got a summer job on a local farm pick strawberries.  I don’t remember the actual amount I was compensated but I got paid per bushel picked.  It was an easy way for a kid to pick up some funds for summer fun.

Where were the child labor laws then?  Huh? Huh!?

Anyhoo . . . as I recall it wasn’t exactly a fun job.  What I remember is that it was hot and I spent hours on my hands and knees in the dirt picking strawberries for not a whole heck of a lot of money.  But, when they handed over that cold, hard cash it seemed like it was worth it.


But what I recall with the most clarity was that it seemed like every other strawberry I picked had a big snotty looking slug on it munching away and having a grand ol’ time of it.  Effectively grossing me out and ruining the strawberry in the process.   No . . . I didn’t get paid for those. 

Consequently, you won’t ever catch me picking strawberries or any other fruit at one of those pick-your-own farms.  Been there, done that and it wasn’t fun.  Nope . . . I’ve done my time. 

Still, I love strawberries and I’m not opposed to buying strawberries that some other sucker has picked . . . enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor, as it were.  Strawberries and champagne, strawberries dipped in chocolate, strawberry ice cream, strawberry jam . . . it’s all good.  In fact, our wedding cake was strawberry shortcake.  YUM!


Bestest  Strawberry Cake

1 Box White Cake Mix
3 Tb. Plain Flour
1 (3 Oz) Box Strawberry Jell-O
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Oil  
1 Cup Fresh Strawberries, Chopped
4 Eggs
1 Recipe Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting, recipe below

Combine cake mix, flour, Jell-O and water.  Add oil and eggs, one at a time, beating well between.  Add strawberries.  Beat 2 minutes.  Pour batter into well greased and floured 9×13 pan.  Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.





Strawberry Cream Cheese frosting

1 Stick Butter, Softened
1 (8 Oz) Package Cream Cheese, Softened
6 Cups Powdered Sugar
1 Recipe Strawberries In Syrup, Recipe Below

Combine and mix all ingredients in mixer or with hand mixer.

Strawberries in Syrup

1 Pint Strawberries
1/4 Cup Raw Sugar
Juice of 1/2 Lemon

Wash the strawberries and remove the green stems. Cut the strawberries and place them in a bowl (I put them in a zip top plastic food bag instead of the bowl). Toss them with the sugar and cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and even overnight.  








Strawberries are the angels of the earth, innocent and sweet with green leafy wings reaching heavenward.  ~Terri Guillemets

No comments:

Post a Comment