Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I can sympathize with everything, except suffering


I was an unsympathetic child.  If a playmate skinned a knee, I would giggle.  If a friend bumped their head, I would chuckle.  If they fell off a swing, I would snicker.  The worse the pain the harder I would laugh.  I couldn’t help it.  I don’t know why but I thought it was funny when other people got hurt.   Pretty f^cked up, huh?

Yeah, it was. 



Then one day I fell down and landed on a rock.  Bone was busting through my skin and blood was spurting everywhere.  No, not really but that’s what it felt like.  I was crying and hollering out my pain.   And standing over me was my bestest friend in the whole wide world . . . and she was laughing . . . laughing and pointing . . . laughing and pointing at ME!!  I cried harder and she laughed harder.  Then I just got mad . . . it was a long time ago but I remember exactly how I felt.  I yelled at her . . . why was she laughing when I was hurt?  That was just mean.   She looked at me and said, “well, now you know what it feels like.”






Lesson learned.  


Compassion understood.  


Sympathy acquired.









The Flies and the Honey-Pot 

A number of Flies were attracted to a jar of honey which had been overturned in a housekeeper's room, and placing their feet in it, ate greedily. Their feet, however, became so smeared with the honey that they could not use their wings, nor release themselves, and were suffocated. Just as they were expiring, they exclaimed, "O foolish creatures that we are, for the sake of a little pleasure we have destroyed ourselves." 

Pleasure bought with pains, hurts. 







Pasta E Fagioli with Italian Sausage  (A Crockpot Recipe)

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Onions, Chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Chopped
1 Carrots, Peeled & Chopped
1 Stalk Celery, Chopped
1 Lb Hot or Sweet Bulk Italian Sausage
2 Teaspoons Dry Oregano
1 Tablespoon Dry Basil
1 -2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes, To Taste
1 1/2 Cups Canned Chopped Tomatoes With Juice
3 -4 Cups Chicken Stock
2 Can Cannellini Beans With Juice
1 Lb Cup Ditalini, cooked according to package directions







Heat olive oil in a large heavy pot over medium high heat.  Cook onion in oil 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, celery and carrots and cook for 3 minutes. 

Add and brown crumbled sausage.

Add mixture to crock pot and stir in basil, oregano, red pepper and tomatoes.

Stir in beans and stock.

Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.

Serve over pasta. Top with grated parmesan cheese.


Note:  I undercook the pasta then add it and add the soup to containers and freeze for lunches.  That way the pasta is not overcooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment