Monday, January 16, 2012

What the duck?!


True story.

I am one of a two person IT department.  Part of my job is to help employees and instruct them in the use of our in house applications.  I’m happy to be of assistance . . . however, I can’t tell someone how to do their job and I have little patience for ineptitude

So . . .

An end user comes to my desk and asked me to show him how to do something . . . for the purposes of this post I will call him Duck . . . as in, What the Duck.

He wanted to summarize an spreadsheet report by product code and then total the costs by product code.

Easy peasy . . .

Right . .  .


Duck has already been shown how to do similar things in comparable reports . . . it's the same procedure across all reports . . . on a number of different occasions.

No problem.  I sigh inwardly and I give him a quick refresher on how to do this.  It really is quite easy.  So easy a caveman could do it.

You select ‘group by’ on an options drop down menu, select the ‘group by’ option then drag and drop to group the items by product code . . . bink . . . done.

Then you select ‘summary’ on the options drop down menu.  Click the column you want to summarize . . . bink . . . done.

It gives a total by product code and a total of all product codes. 

Exactly what Duck wanted and how he wanted it to look.

Seriously, a caveman could do it.

“Did you understand that?”, I asked him.

“Yes”, Duck replied.  “Can you come over to my desk when you have time to show me how to do it?”

I . . . just . . . did . . . head explodes.




Green Balls Recipe:

1 - 10 Ounce Package Frozen Chopped Spinach
2 Cup Herb Stuffing Mix, Crushed  
1 Cup Firmly Packed Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese 
1/2 C Melted Butter
4 Green Onions, Finely Chopped
3 Eggs, Beaten

Thaw and drain spinach.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Make 1 inch balls and place on greased cookie sheets or cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. Watch closely because they will burn easily.


They are very good with a honey mustard dipping sauce, cranberry sauce, or by themselves.

Make ahead of time and refrigerate or freeze them.

No comments:

Post a Comment