Thursday, November 15, 2012

New Brew Thursday - Kona Brewing Wailua Wheat



When I picked up this beer I was looking for something new and something fruity.  Wailua Wheat from Kona Brewing is what we ended up with.

It interested me because I'd never had a beer from this particular brewery before and I'd never had a passion fruit beer.   For that matter, I'd never had a beer brewed in Hawaii.   It was worth a shot.

Wailua Wheat is an American Pale Wheat Ale.  It's perfectly sessionable at 5.4% ABV . . . a good beer for enjoying an afternoon of beer and whatever without getting completely sloshed.






A lot of the beers I drink are unfiltered but if you don't like hazy beer then you'll like this one.  The beer is a clear golden color that smells of wheat, yeast and passion fruit.  It's sweetish but there is a bitter hoppy bite that keeps this beer from being overly sweet.  

I'm not a big fan of the in your face wheatiness of some wheat beers . . . this one is clearly a wheat beer but the flavor blends nicely with the passion fruit and hops so as to not be overpowering.  Wailua Wheat is an interesting and unique tasting beer  . . . I have to say I liked it.  Overall it's pretty good and I would recommend it if you're looking for something different or simply a fan of fruited wheat beer.



Check out Kona Brewing's Website or visit them on Facebook.





No comments:

Post a Comment