Tuesday, July 17, 2012

How my garden Grows . . . we munch, they munch

After a huge amount of rain and a really hot day I harvested over 10 lbs of cucumbers!   It's crazy . . . one day they're nothing but nubs and buds and a day or two later they're huge.  Amazing!


I spotted the first tomatoes turning today and I have a few bell peppers that should be ready soon, too!


I was totally shocked to discover the cucumber beetles and larvae are eating up the leaves on the bean plants! Especially, since there are hardly any on my cucumber and zucchini plants.    I hope I can get them under control before they destroy my bean crop.


The peas . . . the bunnies have found they're way into the garden and LOVE them.  I managed to pick a scan few of them and there were literally handfuls of pods on the ground all around the base of the plant.  Some little bunny had himself a real feast.  There will hardly any left for us because the plants will be dying off soon.











Sauteed Radish Greens


I love radishes!  But what to do with all those greens?  Don't throw them away. They are really quite delicious sauteed with olive oil, garlic and lemon juice.    A great side dish!


1 or 2 Bunches Radish Greens
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 or 2 Minced Garlic Cloves
Sea salt
Juice of one lemon


Wash the greens really well to get all the sand, dirt and grit out.


Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for one minute being careful not to let it brown.  You just want it to soften up a little.  Add the greens and saute until wilted and soft. Season with salt and lemon juice.


Print Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment