Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Alley oop!!

I was watching the morning news while drinking my coffee when the sports report came on and said something about some player alley ooping the ball.


Never the sports fan I can't say that I ever associated the expression 'alley oop' with basketball.  


My first recollection of hearing or seeing this idiom was in relation to the comic strip of the same name.  The cartoon was first syndicated in 1932 but didn't reach the heights of its popularity until the 1960's.  I remember reading the old Alley Oop comic books that I discovered in my Grammy's attic and also in the  newspaper funnies.




So, after listening to the news I got to wondering what the origin of this pairing of words . . . alley oop.


It is a variation of the  French expression 'Allez! Houp!'   . . . the 'h' is silent . . . which roughly translates to , "Go on! Jump!" or "Off you go!".  It was an expression often used by French circus performers who would exclaim 'allez houp' right before they launch themselves into the air.


It is interesting to note the French influence in some Arabic speaking countries . . . specifically Egypt . . . where laborers says 'hailly hooph' when lifting a large, heavy objects. 





______________________________________________


 Zesty Italian Dressing Recipe

In honor of a harvest of fresh veggies from the garden that I'm making into a salad I thought it appropriate to dress the salad in a fresh homemade variety of a classic.  This recipe is the best I've found!

1 Cup of Vinegar
2/3 Cup of Olive Oil
2/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons of Water
1/2 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1/2 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1/2 Tablespoon Honey
1 Tablespoons Dried Oregano
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
1/2 Teaspoon Dried Basil
1/2 Tablespoon Dried Parsley
1 Tablespoons Salt
1 Teaspoon Hot Pepper Flakes

Pour ingredients into a glass jar or bottle with a cover.   Cover and shake well.  Use or refrigerate for up to 90 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment