Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Black and white are the colors of photography

I recently had the misfortune of having to attend the funeral of a close family member . . . my grandmother.  Obviously funerals are unpleasant experiences.  Despite the unhappy circumstances, it's was good to reconnect with family many of whom I hadn't seen for a very very long time.




I was relieved that there was no wake.  I really really dislike open casket viewings and the whole experience is always pretty awful.  I do not want take any comfort in viewing a corpse.  I prefer to remember the deceased when they were alive and happy and enjoying life. 


My aunt had placed photos of my Grammy at the entry way of the church spanning her lifetime . . . which was long and full.  It was nice to see her as a young girl and then a young woman and then into adulthood.  


It wasn't until I passed the easels of photos and greeted other family members that I noticed the casket  . . . it was open and my Grammy's body was on full display.  Ugh.  Passing by was unavoidable;  it was hard but I paid my respects.






I was disturbed to see people taking photos of her in the casket.  I've never seen anyone doing this before and I can't imagine why they would want to.  Besides feeling that it's disrespectful, I don't understand why someone would want to remember her lying dead in a box and not as she was when she was alive.


After the church services I attended the graveside services.  After it was all over I was once again disturbed to see people . . . her children and others . . . taking pictures of the casket poised above the hole into which it would be interred.  


I know that in some cultures it is a common practice to take photos of the deceased in their coffin and in others it's taboo.  


I don't know if its right or if its wrong.  I've just never seen it before and I don't feel like it's respectful to the person.  It didn't feel appropriate.  But that's just me.



Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Vegetables Recipe

Making corned beef in a slow cooker is incredibly easy. And . . . incredibly delicious!

1 package of Corned Beef with seasoning packet
8 small white potatoes cut in fourths
1 bunch of celery cut in 2-inch chunks
4 Large carrots cut in 2-inch chunks
1 Bottle of Beer . . . any beer

Chop up potatoes, carrots, and celery and put them in the bottom of the crock.

Trim excess fat from the meat.  Place on top of veggies.

Sprinkle with seasoning of choice.

Add beer and cook on low for 8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment