Saturday, November 13, 2010

Take a Look . . . manual pasta machines

Let me first start by saying that all manual pasta machines are NOT created equal.  There are good models and there are horrible ones.

I’m going to compare the two that I have owned, loved and hated   . . . The Mercato Atlas and the Weston Roma . . . respectively.

Strong words but accurate enough to reflect my feelings these similar but polar opposite devices.

My first experience with a manual pasta machine was the Roma 6 Inch Traditional Style Pasta Machine by Weston.

 

It is very similar in design and features to the Marcato Atlas and other models.  The price is half the cost of the Atlas and a fraction of the quality.  I can’t even tell you how well the Roma worked because . . . well, it didn’t.  I literally broke the first time attempted to I use it . . . busted gears . . . not from any sort of abuse just regular use. 

 

I tried to return it for a refund . . . I promptly got my money back but they didn’t want the machine back . . . interesting, eh?

 

So, I decided to go for the Atlas, which has excellent reviews, by the way. 

 


What a difference.  The dissimilarity in quality is immediately evident.   Out of the box, it simply feels like a superior machine.  The Roma had rough edges and felt . . . uhm . . . tinny.  The Atlas edges are flat and sleek.  

The functionality is impressive . . .  it has a smooth, clean action.  

It produces supple, satiny sheets of pasta.   It works like a dream.

 

I’ve made amazing lasagna, ravioli and fettuccini with ease with the Atlas.  It’s a wonderful machine.  The Roma basically just pissed me off.

 

So I have vigorous thumbs up for the Atlas. 


Don’t even bother with the other . . . it’s not worth the time, effort or money.  





Cher LOVES her Marcato Atlas Pasta Machine!



2 comments:

  1. Don't forget, an easy way to kill even the Atlas is to wash it in the sink or dishwasher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the Atlas at work - and I make pasta everyday! and trust me the gears eventually go on it as well

    ReplyDelete