Friday, April 20, 2012

Firewater Friday . . . Yeah, baby, YEAH!

The year after my son was born . . . 1997 . . . Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery was in movie theaters.  I thought it was the funniest movie and so when it came out on VHS a couple years later I had to have it.  And, have it I did!.  For you whipper-snappers out there, that like a DVD only in tape format :)~  

I watched that movie over and over and over again.  It never failed to amuse me . . . small things for small minds, I guess.







But give me some credit.  I have always been a James Bond fan and this flick spoofed elements from all the early James Bond movies and was groovy '60s psychedelic, too.


In retrospect, I probably should have known better but as a first time mommy I guess I didn't think of the impact of my son watching a movie likewould have.  Well, now I know better.  Little kids are like sponges . . . they soak everything up.



Short synopsis: British secret agent . . . with really bad teeth . . .  Austin Powers was placed into cryostasis at the end of the 60s, in case a spy of his talent was ever needed again.  The world is a very different place when he's woken in the 1990's.  

Unfortunately for Austin, everyone is no longer sex-mad despite the fact that he is.  He is inappropriate, sexist and horny as hell.  He spends the entire movie in pursuit of his arch enemy Dr. Evil (who also happened to have been cryogenically frozen) and . . . sex.


With such catchy catch-phrases as:



“Shall we shag now, or shall we shag later?”


“Groovy, baby”

"Oh, behave!"

and


"Do I make you horny baby, do I?"


The child was bound to pick up one or two.  Thankfully the one he seemed to like the best was “Yeah, baby, yeah!”.






Well, when that became his standard reply to just about everything, it became apparent that he probably shouldn't be watching that particular movie anymore.  It was all Bear in the Big Blue House, Blues Clues and PB&J Otter for him!


Yeah, baby, yeah!



Lemon Drop Martini




1/2 Lemon
Ice
4 Oz Citron Vodka
2 Tbsp Simple Syrup


Simple syrup: To make simple syrup combine 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over high heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and let boil for a minute. Turn off the heat. Let cool completely. Pour into a glass jar and store covered in the refrigerator.


Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Squeeze the wedge of lemon over the ice. Add the citron vodka and the simple syrup. Cap the shaker and shake (the longer you shake, the more dilute). Strain into martini glass. Makes a small martini. Garnish with lemon wedge.  If you want a little sweetness with each sip, rim the glass with sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment