Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Hungarian Stuffed Peppers - Toltott Paprika


My girlfriend gave me six big bell peppers from her garden the other day.  My husband loves stuffed bell peppers and that's exactly what I knew I wanted to do with them.  

He's Hungarian and nobody can make them like his mom or grandmother.  Lord knows I've tried to come close.  My background is Czechoslovakian and Danish . . . my mom and grandmother made their stuff peppers much differently than what Hubby describes.  



So, I keep looking for a recipe that he likes . . . and guess what?  I found one.  These were the best stuffed peppers I've ever made and the sauce was lick-my-plate good!

In fact, the only suggestion that Hubby offered was that he would like more sauce in with the meat mixture . . . no problem, I'll do that next time.

But from now on, this is my go-to recipe for stuffed peppers!


Hungarian Stuffed Peppers - Toltott Paprika


6 Bell Peppers
1 Small Onion, Finely Chopped
1 1/2 Pound Meatloaf Mix Ground Meat (Veal, Pork, Beef)
1/2 Cup Uncooked Rice, Rinsed
1 Large Egg, Beaten
1 Teaspoon Sweet Or Hot Hungarian Paprika (I Used Hot)
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Clove Garlic, Finely Chopped
1 Tomato Chopped
1 Family Sized Can Of Cream Of Tomato Soup
8 Oz Sour Cream


Wash peppers. Cut off tops; discard the seeds and stem. Set tops aside. Season cavities lightly with salt and pepper.  I used Tony Chachere Creole Seasoning for this, but I use it as a substitute for salt and pepper for almost  everything.

Add onion, tomato, meat, rice, egg, paprika, salt, pepper and garlic to bowl with pepper tops. Mix well. 

Stuff peppers lightly with meat mixture because rice will expand.  Put pepper tops on top of meat mixture.  If you have any leftover meat filling, form it into meatballs. 

Place peppers and any meatballs in a small slow cooker. Pour undiluted soup over peppers. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours (mine took 10). (This also can be cooked in a 350-degree oven for 1 hour or on the stovetop for 1 hour.)

When the peppers are done remove them from the crockpot and cover with foil to keep warm.

Take a about a cup of the sauce from the crockpot and allow to cool a little.  When it's cool enough to dip your finger in without burning stir in the sour cream little by little.  This is so that the sour cream doesn't curdle.    When the sour cream is fully incorporated stir in the rest of the source a little a time.

Serve peppers with a ladleful of sour cream sauce.  We like our stuffed peppers with mashed potatoes!  Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment