Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cheating is often more efficient

I admit it . . . I cheat sometimes. When I’m cooking, that is. For the most part, I try really hard to cook with whole, unprocessed ingredients. But sometimes I run short of time or I’m just plain lazy . . . ya, it happens occasionally. So what do I do when I don’t overly feel like cooking and don’t necessarily feel like getting take-out? I use a cheater recipe. “What’s that?”, you ask . . . it’s a way to end up with a delicious home cooked meal without spending lots of time to get there. I’ll look around the pantry, in the freeze and the fridge to figure out what I’ve got that I can throw together into something quick and yummy.




This is one of those. This dish goes together quick and tastes phenomenal . . . good for any meal, any time and it’s great left over, too! Yum!


Cheesy Meaty Potato Pie



  • 1 20 Oz Packageshredded Hash Browns (Thawed)
  • 1/3 Cup Butter, Melted
  • 1 Tsp Chicken Bouillon
  • 1/2 Lb Bacon
  • 1 Lb. Ground Pork Sausage
  • 1/3 Cup Chopped Onion
  • 1 Cup Cottage Cheese
  • 3 Eggs, Slightly Beaten
  • 1/2 Cup Shredded Swiss
  • 1/2 Cup Cubed Cheddar
  • 3 Eggs



In a large bowl, combine hash browns, butter and bouillon.


Press into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10″ pie plate. Bake at 350 for 25 – 30 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.


Meanwhile, in large skillet, cook sausage. bacon and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and the bacon is crispy; drain.  In the skillet, combine the cooked sausage mixture, cheeses, and eggs.


Pour into hash brown crust.


Bake at 350 for 40 – 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.


Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment