Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I've lead a peas-full life

As long as I can remember there have been peas in  my life.  From when I was a little girl until I was a teenager, my mom always had a garden and peas were a staple.  


I would help her pick the peas, shuck them into a bowl and can them.


It's a comforting memory of my childhood past.



As a preschooler I remember sitting cross-legged in front of the television watching Sesame Street while eating ketchup sandwiches . . . yeah, you read that right, ketchup on white bread.



One episode I distinctly remember is Kermit the Frog reporting on the Princess and the Pea.  


It turns out the princess actually could feel the pea through all those mattresses!  


One of my very first books was a book of poetry for children.  In elementary school they sent home a catalog for Scholastic Books and I was always allowed to buy one or two. 

It's kind of funny, but the only poem I recall out of that book was Peas with Honey.








And then there was School House Rock.  Conjunction Junction?  My favorite song!  

Conjunction Junction, what's your function? Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.

Yep, there's peas in the lyrics . . . go figure.  


As a teenager I discovered Men at Work.  They are one of my all-time favorite bands. Who can forget "Who Can it Be Now" and "Down Under"?


Great songs but one of their best songs, in my oh-so-humble opinion is "Settle Down My Boy" from their Cargo album.  That is . . . a record album.  You know those round vinyl things with a hole in the middle?  Yep . . . one of those.
And then as a young bride, I copied down my favorite recipe cards of meals my mom made for  me as a child.  A common meal growing up was creamed tuna and peas over rice.  It is an inexpensive meal that is filling, and delicious.  It's perfect for a couple struggling to be on their own for the first time.
And, now, I've come full circle . . . I've got a garden of my own and I'm growing peas.  Lots and lots of peas.  Their just little sprouts right now but I'm looking forward to picking, shucking and canning them . . . just like I did when I was a little girl.


Pretty cool, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment