Friday, March 11, 2011

Firewater Friday . . . Skip & Go Naked


I racked my brain to come up with a blog post to accompany this Firewater Friday’s drink du jour . . . from skipping stones to nudist colonies.    And then I thought . . . SKIPPY . . . as in the peanut butter.  From my research I came across so much Skippy stuff . . . peanut butter and otherwise . . .  that my idea went this way and that.  I came across loads of interesting things.  Here are some of them . . .


Skippy the Bush Kangaroo  . . . this is the only thing I decided to use that has nothing to do with Skippy Peanut Butter.  Skippy was an Australian television series that aired for three seasons from 1966 through 1968.    It was a show produced for children about the adventures of a young boy and his pet kangaroo . . . kind of like an Australian Lassie.   The show was later syndicated in North American markets, dubbed into Spanish (Skippy el canguro), and also gained popularity in Czechoslovakia before the fall of the Iron Curtain.  However the show was forbidden in Sweden because they apparently thought their children couldn’t discern the difference between fantasy and reality buy confusing them into believing animals could do things that they really couldn’t. 




Skippy the comic strip . . . the funnies ran for 22 years starting in 1923 about the exploits of the mischievous Skippy Skinner.  The strip depicted the every day life of a young boy sporting a big floppy hat and tie.  The storyline ran the gambit from fun, to naughty, to downright sad . . . in one episode he stood staring sadly at an old relative's grave, And only last year she gave me a tie".




Skippy the movie . . . based on the comic strip a movie was made in 1937.  I had never heard of Skippy before I researched for this blogpost.  Shortly after writing this my husband and I were watching Turner Classic Movies and watching a cute little movie about a cute little boy.  And I said . . . "That's SKIPPY!"  I recognized him from the hat and tie.  Too, funny.  The movie was about Skippy, of course, he's the mischievous son of a wealthy doctor, meets Sooky in poverty-ridden Shantytown, and together they try to save Sooky's pet from a cruel dogcatcher. (From the IMDB Website)


While we're watching the movie my hunny was reading me movie information, trivia and whatnot from the movie.  When he read me one piece of information I was like . . . "what?  WHAT!?"  


To induce crying, Jackie Cooper was fooled into it by director Norman Taurog - his uncle, having married the sister of Jackie's mother. Taurog yelled out, "Where's that dog? Just go shoot him!" (the dog was Jackie's own dog). Somebody who got a gun with a blank in it went behind the truck where the dog had been taken and fired the gun. It worked, though a little too well. It took Jackie a very long time to stop crying, even after the scene was over and the director tried to kindly tell him they were just fooling; they only did that to get Jackie to cry for the scene. In addition, Jackie said he lost a lot of respect for his uncle that day.



I can't believe I someone could do that!  And it upsets me even now.    It's horrible!  Who would do that to a child??  What a bastard!




Skippy Peanut Butter . . . The Skippy comic strip was the inspiratin behind the name of Skippy peanut butter.  In fact, there is an ongoing legal battle over the rights to the Skippy trademark between Unilever and the descendants of the creator of the "Skippy" comic strip.

Peanut butter was first introduced in the 1890’s to provide toothless geriatric patients with a source of protein.  Skippy peanut butter hit the market in 1933 when the trademark was immediately challenged by the creator of the Skippy comic strip.






Skippy sponsored the Dennis the Menace television show in the 1950’s . . .     





. . . Advertisements were illustrated by the illustrious Norman Rockwell





. . . And, in 1979 Annette Funicello of Mickey Mouse Club and beach movie fame starred in many commercials.








_________________________________

Skip & Go Naked Recipe
    
Chilled Beer  
1 oz Gin         
1 oz Lime Juice

Pour gin and sweet and sour into a glass over ice cubes and stir well. Fill with chilled beer, stir lightly, and serve. 


No comments:

Post a Comment