We got a zucchini from a friend whose garden is already producing more squash than he knows what to do with.
I wanted to try something different. I read that, interestingly, chocolate and zucchini make a good pairing. I found this recipe and made it my own.
Easy Chocolate Zucchini Cake
with Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting
Adapted from a recipe by Diana Rattray
This chocolate zucchini cake is easy to make with a cake mix, and it's loaded with chocolate chips, shredded zucchini, and nuts.
• 1/2 cup (4 ounces) butter, softened
• 4 large eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1 dark chocolate fudge cake mix with pudding in the mix, about 18.25 ounces
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 medium zucchini, shredded, about 1 1/2 cups shredded
• 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Grease and flour a 9x13 pan. Heat oven to 350°.
In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat the butter until light; beat in eggs and flavorings. Beat in the sour cream and cinnamon, then slowly beat in the cake mix. Stir in the zucchini, chocolate chips, and pecans.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the center of the cake. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Invert the cake onto a serving plate to cool completely. Frost the cake or dust with powdered sugar.
Vanilla Butter Cream Frosting
· 3 cups confectioners' sugar
· 1 cup butter
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
In a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, mix together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream if needed for spreading consistency.