Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Fishing is boring, unless you catch an actual fish, and then it is disgusting.


When I was a kid we used to go to the Jersey short for vacation.  We would camp at a campground near the beach.  I like to spend my time playing in the waves and looking for seashells.

One of the things I especially liked to do was go fishing on the ocean . . . not for the big game fish but for the little fish like flounder and fluke. We’d catch ‘em and fry ‘em up over our campfire.  NOM!

Quick factoid . . . fluke has eyes on RIGHT side (tale fin to mouth) and flounder eyes has on LEFT side (tale fin to mouth).

One time when we were out fishing I got a tug on my line and I started reeling it in.  It was a fighter, that fish, but I got him.  However, what popped out of the water was no flounder . . . it was big and ugly and scary AND it was screaming.

It screamed, I screamed . . . I dropped my pole and headed for cover.  I was just a little kid and it scared the bajoopies out of me!  It was, I found out after I had recovered a sea robin.  A nasty critter.

I don’t think it was long after that that I stopped eating fish.  Too scary.




Giblet Gravy

2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
4 Cups Giblet Stock
Chicken or turkey Giblets
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
Salt to Taste

Rinse the giblets and neck and simmer in salted water about 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until tender, adding the liver the last 30 minutes. Save the broth. Remove the meat from the neck and chop fine along with giblets to use in making the gravy.






Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; gradually add flour and stir until golden brown.

Slowly whisk in stock until blended and smooth. Stir in giblets, and season with pepper and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until thickened.





Fishing is boring, unless you catch an actual fish, and then it is disgusting.


Dave Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment