Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A girl called Ralph


Up until the time I was 21 my mother called me Ralph.  Not because I was fugly or looked like a boy, it was a term of endearment.


Well, in all honesty, it started out because I sort of looked like a boy for a period of time.  Allow me to explain.  When I was the fresh, young age of five, my mom ushered me onto the school bus for my first day of Kindergarten.  It was an exciting time; my first ride on the school bus, going to school, meeting new friends.

Everything went well; I even managed to get onto the right bus for the ride home.  I looked anxiously out of the bus window until I saw my mom waving as the bus stopped in front of our house.  I hopped from the bus and ran up to my mom all eager and excited to tell her all about my big day.  I stopped short when I saw the look on her face . . . something of mix between shock and confusion.  My mom opened her arms and I went to her and got a great big hug.    She was perplexed because she had sent me to school with long gossamer hair and I came home looking like someone had chopped all my hair off.  This, in actuality, is exactly what happened!  During recess me and a little boy played barber shop.  Well, I was playing; apparently he was quite serious about his vocation.  Chop, cut, chop.  Cheryl turns to Ralph. 





The name was perpetuated by the fact that I was quite the tomboy . . . climbing trees, playing in the mud, fishing, etc. 

So I was Ralph.









____________________________



Cher’s Almond Spice Cookies

-          3/4 Cup Shortening
-          3/4 Cup Sugar
-          1/2 Cup Molasses
-          1 Eggs
-          2 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
-          1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
-          1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
-          1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
-          1/8 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
-          1/4 Teaspoon Salt
-          1/4 Cup Sugar Mixed With 1/4 Cup Ground Almonds

In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add molasses and egg; beat well.


In another bowl combine dry ingredients and mix with fork.  Stir dry ingredients into creamed mixture, mixing well.

Chill cookie dough for 2 hours.
Preheat oven 375°
Grease cookie sheets.

Shape in 1-inch balls, then roll each ball in sugar/almond mixture.

Place ginger cookies on greased baking sheets.  Indent the top of each ball with your thumb and sprinkle additional sugar/almond mixture into the indentations. Bake in preheated oven for about 12 minutes.
Bake in preheated oven for about 12 minutes.


    No comments:

    Post a Comment