Monday, March 5, 2012

Is it fixed yet?


As much as I’d like to be home making muffins, doing laundry and vacuuming everyday . . . for my regular day-to-day job I work as a systems/network administrator.   Basically, the same thing . . . you know getting stuff done and cleaning up people's messes except that I get to collect a paycheck

The other day I got a call from an end-user who said they were getting warnings on their computer that there was an impending hard disk failure, driver errors and all sort of imminent catastrophic hardware failures. 

Needless to say he was freaking out.

I went to check it out and without even touching the computer I could tell immediately it was a virus.  Further inspection verified my initial diagnosis.  So, I set about removing, repairing and otherwise eradicating said virus.

As I’m working, said end user is hovering directly behind me while enjoying his breakfast . . . crunching and slurping obnoxiously in my ear.

Clenching my teeth in an effort not to scream, I turn to him and say, “This is going to take a while . . . I’ll let you know when I’m done.”

Amazingly, he took the hint and went off to find somewhere else to munch his cereal and drink his coffee.


I short time later I was just managing to gain some sort of control over the system when I hear, “How’s it goin’?”

I look up and said, “This is going to take a while . . . I’ll let you know when I’m done.  Oh, and by the way, it’s not really the best idea to stick magnets to your computer.”  I swear to God the guy was using very powerful magnets to hold papers to the case of his PC.  I strongly suspect that he was using his CD-ROM tray as a cup holder, as well.  Anyway . . .

He replied,” Oh wow, really?  I guess I should use tape then.”   I responded that that would probably be a better idea.

So he wandered off again but somehow managed to appear before me again within a half an hour. 

I was like, “Listen dude, you really did a good job trashing your computer with whatever link you clicked on or whatever website you shouldn’t have been visiting and it’s going to take me a loooooooong time to fix this screwed up mess.  GO AWAY.”

I didn’t say exactly that, but he got the idea. 

The point is . . . well, really I have no point.  Ventilation and decompression complete.  Thank you for listening.






Spaghetti Aglio, Olio, e Peperoncino

Spaghetti with oil, garlic and hot pepper.

8 Ounces of Spaghetti
2 Large or 3 Small Garlic Cloves, Minced
1 1/2 Teaspoons of Chili Pepper Flakes
1/4 To 1/3 Cup of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
3/4 Teaspoon of Salt
1/2 Teaspoon of Freshly Ground Black Pepper

Cook spaghetti according to the directions on the package, until it is al dente.

Strain spaghetti and place in a large serving dish.

Combine minced garlic, chili pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. 

Sprinkle over pasta and pour olive oil over top and mix will.

Serve warm or at room temperature.  Top with parmesan cheese, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment