Saturday, February 25, 2012

Well, ain't that just ducky


So, I’m reading the series of books . . . Zomblog 1 through 3 by TW Brown . . . about a zombie apocalypse.  It’s basically a journal of the survivor of said apocalypse.  As this person is writing they posed a question that was interesting enough  . . . to me . . . that I just had to seek out an answer. 






“When I see some places as remote as this and the last town affected the way they are, I try to picture someplace that might have remained unaffected, and I can’t.  Over the past few years of the old world we made everything so small.   I remember all the flues and viruses that would pop up.  It seemed that if a duck sneezed in some remote village in China, folks in Mexico would start falling victim to a new illness then days later.”

So, DO ducks sneeze?

Apparently they do.   QUACKCHOOOOOOO

I found a forum where the owner of Mr. Flippers, a youngster ducky,  was worried because he was sneezing . . . a lot . . . like 5 times over the course of 45 minutes.  She was worried that he was sick and that whatever he had would infect Mr. Flappers.

Little ducklings, like little kids, are more susceptible to getting a cold if they are exposed to water and cool air for too long. They need to be kept warm and dry when they’re not out taking a swim.

Generally speaking, a sneeze from a duck doesn’t necessarily mean it’s sick.  Maybe he just horked some dust or something.  But, like you or me, if the sneeze is accompanied by other symptoms (like a runny nose) it should be checked out.

So, there it is . . . mystery solved.  Ducks sneeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment