Monday, June 10, 2013

Pale Ale Sausage, Peppers and Onions


Sausage is one of my favorite meats.  In all honesty, sausages are nothing more than meat by-products stuffed into a a section of intestine.  But whatever.  I love them. Sausage with peppers and onions is one of my favorite ways to prepare them. 

Then I thought about adding a beer to the mix.  And then I thought that would be a fine idea.  So that's what I did.  And it was awesome!





I used Pemi Pale Ale brewed by Woodstock Inn Brewery for the beer.  It's a tasty pale ale with loads of flavor.  It made an excellent addition to the recipe.

I also used my homemade tomato paste in place of canned paste - recipe here.

Pale Ale Sausage, Peppers and Onions

3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
3 Pounds Italian Sausage Links
3 Large Bell Peppers, Sliced
2 Large Vidalia Onions, Sliced
4 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
2 (12 Fluid Ounce) Bottles Pale Ale
1 (6 Ounce) Can Tomato Paste
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Cilantro
2 Tablespoons Hot Sauce
Salt And Pepper To Taste
Kaiser Roll
Parmesan Cheese (Optional)

In a heavy skillet, cook sausages in olive oil until brown on all sides.  Remove sausage from pan, and keep warm. 

Deglaze the pan witn one bottle of the pale ale. Scrape the yummy bits from the bottom of the pan.

Add the peppers, onions and garlic to the pan. Stir in the tomato paste, cilantro, hot sauce and the remaining bottle of beer. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, and simmer until onions and peppers are tender. 

While the onions and peppers are cooking, slice the sausages into bite size pieces.  

When the onions and peppers are done, stir into the sausage.  
Cover, and simmer until sausage is cooked through.

Serve on a kaiser roll.  Top with parmesan cheese, if desired. 


No comments:

Post a Comment