Thursday, December 6, 2012

New Brew Thursday - Hoopla Pale Ale




I picked up this beer on a whim . . . beer and a brewery I'd never had before . . . and I kinda liked the look of the can.  What's all the Hoopla about?  I didn't know but I wanted to find out.

Hoopla is  brewed by Boulder Beer Company which claims to be Colorado's first microbrewery.   I don't know if that's true or not.  But Boulder Beer Company was founded in 1979, well before the explosion of microbreweries, so it's possible.  

Hoopla (5.7% ABV) is a pale ale.  It pours a rich golden color with a fluffy white head that wants to hang around but dissipates after a while.

I'm a lover of hoppy beer . . . seriously hoppy beer . . . so I tend towards IPA's, as opposed to pale ales.  But sometimes I want the bitter bite of hops without all the intensity.  Hoopla Pale Ale meets that want.  It would be a good entry beer for the novice hophead-to-be. 

I would say Hoopla is a middle of the road beer.  It's tasty, crisp and moderately hoppy with hints of fruit and citrus.  It's relatively light tasting which makes it very drinkable . . . good to kick back with and enjoy by it's self or with a meal.  Mmmmm, refreshing.

It's a good beer, not a great beer . . . but I liked it.

Visit Boulder Beer Company's website for more info about about their beers of check them on Facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment